Community gaming returns more to the community than any other form of gambling

New Zealand’s Community Gaming Model really is unique and special. Nowhere else in the world do local community groups have access to funds such as those distributed by The Lion Foundation.

The Charitable Gaming or Community Gaming Trusts who operate machines in pubs and hotels are required to distribute 40% of their revenue to community groups; conversely the Casino Model returns less than 2% of its profits annually. The comparison is stark with the Charitable Gaming Model of pubs and hotels (Class 4 Gambling) delivering approximately $290m per year.

In addition, the Class 4 Model provides Government with well over $200m a year in taxes and levies, such as the annual payment of around $13m to the Ministry of Health to fund their problem gambling strategy. This Problem Gambling Levy funds service providers in the community, along with interventions that help reduce any potential for harm.

Our policy is to return approximately 90% of the funds available for grants to their community of origin.  The remaining 10% supports major and highly effective national causes like Royal New Zealand Plunket Trust, Surf Life Saving NZ and Assistance Dogs NZ, that save, nurture and protect kiwi life around the clock and across the country.

The critical test for The Lion Foundation is that our partnerships make a real and lasting difference.  We don’t just walk away, we take an active interest and work towards sustainable outcomes.