Funding Q & A’s
Where does the money go?
Grants are distributed to a wide and diverse range of charitable purposes in the areas of health, education, sports and community (which includes arts, culture, heritage and environment). We aim to distribute and return approximately 90% of the funds generated by venues in your local community back to your local community. Funds remaining (approximately 10%) are distributed nationally to organisations which benefit communities throughout New Zealand.
Who decides where the money goes?
The Lion Foundation has established four Regional Grants Committees that meet monthly – Northern, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Central and Southern. Click here for details on each region. Each Committee considers grant applications generated from their individual regions. These Committees are made up of local people with local knowledge, to ensure the best possible outcome for their communities.
Where does the money come from?
The Lion Foundation is licensed to operate gaming machines, solely for the purpose of raising money for distribution to the community for Authorised Purpose.
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
Regional Grants Committees and The Lion Foundation Trust Board meet monthly, however due to the fluctuations in the number of grant applications received in any given month, we advise applicants to allow AT LEAST EIGHT WEEKS for an application to be considered and a decision to be made. This timeframe is based on the receipt of a complete application and may be extended should we need to request additional documentation or clarification.
What are the close off dates for applications?
The Lion Foundation receives and processes applications all year round. There are no close off dates.
How often can I apply?
Funds may be distributed to successful applicants once every 12 months. Applications should not be submitted less than 10 months from the date of your last grant approval. This allows for the 8 week processing time.
How many quotes do I need to provide?
To ensure that funds are distributed for Authorised Purpose, we require two competing quotes for each item you are applying for. Should you be unable to provide two competing quotes, please provide a full explanation why only one quote is supplied, or contact our grants advisors for assistance. Once a grant is approved you must then use the supplier who provided the quote unless you have written permission from The Lion Foundation to use an alternative supplier.
How long does it take to get the funding once approved?
Payments are usually made on the last Thursday of the month. The Lion Foundation is required to pay grants by direct credit only to the applicant organisation’s bank account.
Can venue operators benefit from a grant?
No, venue operators cannot make any decisions or recommendations about applications or receive completed application forms. No payment, commission or any other kind of reward, financial or otherwise, can be attached or demanded as a condition of either the issuing or payment of a grant.
What if there are no Lion Foundation venues in my local area?
As funds are returned to the communities where they are generated, you should only apply for a grant if there is a Lion Foundation venue in your local council area, Click here to find out. If there are none within your area you could check www.dia.govt.nz for a list of other gaming trusts which may be able to help.
Watch the online application tutorial:
Watch the recorded funding forum: